Jazz for ages 5 ½ - 10
- Kick, turn, walk, pivot! Students will learn the fundamentals of jazz dance technique such as isolations, the jazz walk, arch-contract, and dancing to the beat of the music. Stretching, kicking, and moving those hips! A variety of fun, upbeat, and popular music will help to get students moving. Seasonal dances such as "Pumpkin Patch Polka," "Jingle Bell Rock," and "The St. Patrick's Day Dance" will be incorporated into this class.Hip Hop for ages 5 ½ & up
- Pop, drop, freeze, repeat! Strength, flexibility, and endurance will be taught in class while learning today's hottest dance moves. Music from today's biggest pop stars will be used while keeping it age appropriate for each level. Hip hop moves will be practiced and perfected each week. Some jazz technique will be taught but the emphasis will be on strength training in freezes and lifts while learning the latest dance moves. Disco lights help add to the fun! *Boys' Hip Hop - Breakdancing steps will be added.AcroJazz for ages 6-10
- Split, backbend, butterfly! Students will learn some basic tumbling moves on the mat such as backbends, forward rolls, cartwheels, splits, and other various moves and stretches. Kick, turn, walk, pivot! Students will learn the fundamentals of jazz dance technique such as isolations, the jazz walk, arch-contract, and dancing to the beat of the music. Stretching, kicking, and moving those hips! A variety of fun, upbeat, and popular music will help to get students moving. Seasonal dances such as "Pumpkin Patch Polka," "Jingle Bell Rock," and "The St. Patrick's Day Dance" will be incorporated into this class. *This class is not a combination class. Acro will be incorporated into the jazz dance style
.Lyrical for ages 6 & up
- Stretch, leap, up, down, around! Stretching, acrobatic moves as well as turns and leaps make this class a good choice for many students. Ballet and jazz technique are both introduced in this class as well as the interpretation of the mood or idea of the music. Students work on connecting moves together to create a flow while also working on different body shapes, floor work, and control and release. The music and idea choices for the class are always age appropriate and are easy to interpret and follow along to.Tap ages 6 - 10
- Flap, spank, leap, ball chain! Students will work on all of the basic tap steps such as shuffles, flaps, toes and heels, and digs. They will be introduced to several new steps such as the machine gun, double irish, shuffle leap, shim sham, and many more. Students will begin to perfect their rhythms while learning to tap on the balls of their feet. The "Broadway" style as well as the "Rhythmic" style will be practiced. Age appropriate music such as pop, jazz & swing, and drumbeats will be incorporated.Acro ages 5 ½ & up
- Split, backbend, butterfly! Students will learn some basic tumbling moves on the mat such as backbends, forward rolls, cartwheels, splits, and other various moves and stretches. Walkovers, handstands, and other advanced tricks will be taught once a student has reached his or her ability.Tap ages 9 & up
- Clear, crisp, and clean. Students will work on perfecting their tap sounds and rhythms while working primarily in the "Broadway" style of tap. Other tap styles will be explored as well. Steps will be practiced "acapella," ( with no music ), with various drum beats, and with some popular and classic tap music. Students will work at high or low levels depending on their ability levels. Steps will be modified to accommodate all students in the class. Quicker, more complex steps will be given to more experienced students and for those students who want to try them!Ballet ages 7 ½ - 10
- Chasse, Chainne, Plie, Arabesque! Students will learn the basic ballet positions and various center exercises. Working at the ballet barre will help students to perfect their technical abilities when learning travelling moves and combinations. Seasonal themes and various props will be used in class to increase imagination and fun! Beginner students will be introduced to the ballet style and technique while intermediate students will continue their ballet technique and be given harder focuses.Ballet ages 11 & up
- Centre epaulment followed by barre work and centre adagio and pirouette and fouette turn sequences. Beautiful classical and non-classical music will be used to emphasize the various moods of ballet. Seasonal themes will be incorporated for fun and variety such as "Autumn", "Christmas Moods", "Spanish Theme", and more! Students will work within their ability level and will be challenged when they've reached their potential.*The Intensive level ballet class is for the serious ballet student. Students in this level have 'graduated' from previous levels and work twice per week in the Monday and Wednesday ballet classes. The pointe class goes along with the Intensive level Ballet and students are only asked to do pointe once they have the amount of technique and strength to do so. *Students must have director permission.Jazz ages 9 & up
- Isolations, various jazz walks, and stretching are incorporated into the jazz class warm up. Students will learn some technique as it is needed to fully prepare the jazz dancer. Pirouettes, kicks, and jumps will be incorporated in the center and across the floor combinations. Pop, R&B, Swing, and Classic Jazz music will be used in this level. Combinations and routines will be taught to train the student's memory and coordination in jazz dancing.Intensive Jazz (7th grade & up)
- Broadway style, classic, "Fosse" inspired. This class is for the more advanced, serious student who takes several dance classes per week. A strong ballet base is suggested. Isolations, the jazz walk, arch-contract, lunge-hinge, and other jazz elements will be taught. Other jazz styles will be explored from time to time. The music used will be inspired by the various expressions of jazz dancing. Lounge chill, Michael Buble, Tony Bennett, 70's Disco, MJ, and Madonna to today's newest artists to name a few. *Students must have director permission.
Drill Team ages 7 & up
- The Drill Team is for anyone who wants to take the class. It is a class that is designed for the student who may be interested in eventually joining our competition team. It will consist of working on routines that use a mixture of hip hop, jazz, and acrobatics. They will learn one to two routines that they will compete in a local dance competition in the spring. The cost of competing will be around $30 depending on the competition. They will perform their routine(s) in the recital in June.
- The competition team is by invitation only. The Movers and Shakers Competition Dance Team began as a performance team that danced and raised money for local charities. The group has become an award-winning competition dance team that has attended both regional and national competitions. Dancers from other teams are welcome to join, but we do not recruit dancers from other teams and do not hold events at our studio for the purpose of recruiting dancers from other dance studios.
The team has traveled to Disney World to dance at Disney, competed at Nationals in Hershey, Pennsylvania, and has competed in Las Vegas and Tennessee. Three of its members were selected to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2004. The team has won dozens of overall high scores at local and national competitions. Darcy has won choreography awards for her choreography. The team is currently under the direction of Darcy Leavitt.
Our 2016–2017 Competition Team:
- Junior Members: Aliza W., Ava, Emily, Grace, Kaitlyn W, Kali G, Kallie W, Libbie, Lily, Miranda, Nevaeh, Ryleigh, Sofia
- Pre-Senior Members: Bella P, Belle, Brittney T, Gabby, Holly, Hope, Jaclyn, Katelyn P, Lysie, Maia, Marissa, Meghan, Myah, Nadia, Paige, Peyton, Sarah, Shaley, Olivia No., Sameena
- Senior Members: Hannah, Izzy, Kelsie, Mia, Molly, Olivia, Victoria